The Adsmore Museum
Originally built in 1857 and purchased by the Smith-Garrett family in 1900, the Adsmore Museum gives visitors an authentic and interactive opportunity to spend a day in the life of an early 1900s family living in western Kentucky.
When John Parker and Nancy (Nannie) Smith purchased the house in 1900, they quickly began to renovate the original property into something extraordinary and ahead of its time. They commissioned the beautiful columned portico the home is known for and continued to commission several more Federal-style additions. Thus, the brick house on North Jefferson Street came to be known as the Adsmore House.
Miss Katharine Garrett, granddaughter of the original owners, grew up in the Adsmore House and lived there for the duration of her life. When she passed in 1984, she left the Adsmore Museum and estate to the George Coon Public Library under the stipulation that it be open to the public. The museum opened to the public in 1986, two years after Katharine’s passing.